2017 Black Quilted Narratives (BQN) Summer Teachers’ Institute Materials
Summer Teachers’ Institute –Application
July 9-21, 2017
APPLICATION INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017
The BQN Summer Teachers’ Institute is designed principally for full-time and part-time classroom teachers and librarians in public, charter, independent, and religiously affiliated schools. Prior to completing an application, please review the letter outlining the project and thoughtfully consider what is expected in terms of residence and attendance, reading and writing requirements, and general participation in the Summer Institute and Teach-Ins.
Please note: The BQN curriculum is designed to engage, inspire, and educate the next generation of culturally responsive leaders and political activists using historical moments from the Civil Rights Movement. Therefore, this BQN Summer Teachers’ Institute is best suited for educators and school personnel who would have the creative freedom and initiative to incorporate civic, social, and cultural topics into their instruction.
A selection committee, consisting of the Co-Project Directors and the Master Teachers will read and evaluate all properly completed applications in order to select the most promising applicants. We will identify a number of alternates in case those selected are unable to attend. The most important consideration in the selection of participants is the likelihood that an applicant and their school, by extension, will benefit professionally. This will be determined by committee members and is based upon a number of factors, each of which should be addressed in the application essay. These factors include:
- Effectiveness and commitment as an educator, based upon years of experience and/or prior involvement with professional development activities;
- Intellectual interests, as they relate to the subject matter of the project;
- Special skills or perspectives that would contribute to the Summer Teachers’ Institute;
- Commitment to participate fully in the formal and informal collegial life of the project; and,
- Racial and economic make-up of the school, with a special interest in (but not limited to) educators who teach in a Title I school; and the likelihood that the experience will enhance both the applicant’s teaching and the students’ present and future school experiences
Application packages should be sent to the National Visionary Leadership Project (NVLP) via email at BQN@visionaryproject.org by May 15, 2017. Late applications will not be reviewed. Twenty-five educators will be selected to participate in the BQN Summer Teachers’ Institute. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection via email by May 29, 2017 and will have until June 5, 2017 to accept or decline the offer.
A completed application package includes the following:
- The completed BQN application form (see below);
- A résumé or brief biography that details your educational qualifications and professional experience (one-four pages);
- An application essay that includes the following (four pages maximum):
- Your reasons for applying to the BQN Summer Teachers’ Institute;
- Your interest, both academic and personal, in the topics we will be studying;
- The relationship between your professional responsibilities and the BQN line of study;
- Your relevant academic qualifications and/or experiences that equip you to do the work of the Summer Teachers’ Institute; and,
- What you hope to accomplish by participating, including any individual research and writing projects you foresee undertaking and/or curricular units you will create.
- The names and contact information for two references, one of which should be an administrator from your school. The two referees should be familiar with your professional accomplishments or promise, teaching and/or research interests, and ability to contribute to, and benefit from, participation in the Summer Institute.
Part 1: General Information
Home Address: ______________________________________________________
Work Address: ______________________________________________________
E-mail: _____________________ Home Phone: _________________
Citizenship: If not U.S., please specify country, month and year U.S. residence began: ________________________________________________________
**This information will be kept private and confidential. This information will be used for payment purposes only.
Please provide your school name and address:
Please provide your principal’s name, phone number and email address:
How long have you been teaching? ________________________________________
What grade(s) and subject(s) do you teach? __________________________________
What courses did you teach this year and number of students taught? _______________
Please provide the name, email address and phone number for two professional references.
How did you learn about the NVLP BQN Summer Teachers’ Institute?
Part 2: Teaching Information How would you classify your school? (Circle all that apply)
Independent Religiously Affiliated Home School
Charter School Elementary (K-5) Middle School (6-8) High School (9-12)
School Position (circle all that apply)
Full-Time Teacher Part-Time Teacher Classroom Professional Administrator School
Services (e.g. Librarian) Other ________________________________________________________
Any questions regarding this application, please email Dr. Karsonya (Kaye) Wise Whitehead at email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: NVLP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.